subscribe

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Guest Post by Tracy Miranda

The following blog post is an important one. Currently one of our friends and co-workers from AMR is at the Biggest Loser Resort at Fitness Ridge Malibu. Tracy, was so inspired by our trip and our blog that before we were even home from our trip, she had booked hers.  I have been in touch with her via text message and I can tell you this is just the right place for her to be. She has just started her second week this week and she is kicking butt and learning so much about herself and her future. We are so proud of you, Tracy. Here's a reflection from her first week, in her words.
Tracy is lucky to have two former Biggest Losers joining the Resort this week. Jessica and Ramon are from Season 12!

{My Used To’s}
 by Tracy Miranda
I just finished my first week of a two week stay at the Biggest Loser Resort at Fitness Ridge in Malibu. It’s been nothing short of amazing. I won’t bore you with a lot of the schedule, food and types of classes etc, because I know anyone reading this has heard already what this is about from Brianne and Cara. They asked me to share my journey with you, so I will aim to do that.
When I arrived a week ago I was unsure of what I was facing, but I knew I wanted my life to be different. Don’t get me wrong, I love my life. I have a wonderful husband, a mom who is my best friend, so many supportive friends and family, and the most amazing son I could ever wish for. I just didn’t love me.
Fast forward to me today, one week later. Believe it or not I am already a different person. I have pushed myself to my limits and beyond. I have persevered through minor injuries and pain and most importantly I’ve realized that I am capable of so much more than I thought I was. I will share some of the highlights of my week.
My first day started out with pouring rain. That did not stop us however from going on a two hour hike. There were lots of people that thought it was miserable, but I had a great time. People thought I was crazy but I used to love playing soccer in the rain when I was growing up. It’s just water right? It was really fun. The day continued with a stretch class, cardio, circuit training and pool class. I really thought I would not be able to move the next morning. However, I woke up and did it all again. The next day we hiked in the canyons of Malibu, and it’s really beautiful. While walking with a hiking guide Alicia she asked me if I hiked at home and I told her that I used to. The hikes are challenging, but it’s so great to be out in the fresh air and such beautiful scenery. The hiking guides are awesome and supportive.
During gym and pool classes it is a mixture of fun and pain. I have met muscles that I haven’t heard from in a long time. As trainer Tonia said, “let me introduce you to your core” (boy did she ever). The trainers are always positive but know how to push you and hold you accountable to yourself without ever being condescending or disrespectful. One of my favorite inspirations came from trainer Katina in a cardio class. They do a lot of interval training here to get your heart rate up, down, then up again. Some of these include sprints at the end. She made me push myself by simply stating “anybody can do anything for one minute!” It’s true. By Saturday I was doing one minute sprints faster than I ever have run on a treadmill simply because she made me believe that I could. It’s just one minute I kept telling myself and repeating her quote.
On Saturday we were fortunate enough to have Jessica and Ramon from Biggest Loser season 12 do our Last Chance Workout. It was brutal and amazing. They are inspiring, happy and remarkable people. They shared a lot of their journey and it was great to hear. They will be working here now so we will get to work out with them this week as well. It is a chance of a lifetime.
One of the best parts of this place is the other guests. I have met some wonderful people who have been such a pleasure to be around. We all understand what each other is going through and it’s nice to hear the good and bad of others journey’s. I came here alone and I will leave here with lifelong friends.
Every guest has the opportunity to weigh in every Sunday. I wasn’t sure about it. I knew I had worked hard but didn’t know if I wanted to do it, even though I was so curious. Whether the number was good or bad, I didn’t want it to affect me. I made the decision to weigh in today but not look at the results. I will get them when I weigh in next weekend and check out. That way I don’t have to think about it this week, but will eventually know what I accomplished.
Lastly, everyone here has had their “a-ha” moment. I have to say mine came pretty early Monday afternoon which actually surprised me. I was talking to one of the trainers and realized that while getting to know some of the other guests and sharing about myself, and during this conversation with the trainer, I sure talked a lot about what I used to do. I used to run, play soccer, hike, swim, bicycle and enjoy almost anything outdoors. It was right then and there that the light bulb went off in my head and I told the trainer, “I’m here to get my used to’s back.” Mark my words, I am doing just that.

Shout Outs:
Brianne and Cara: Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us and inspiring me to be here. Your constant support and cheering me on is really appreciated. Getting texts from you while I was here was so helpful. Thanks for letting me bug you! I am so proud of both of you and hope that I can now join your inspiration team to share this info with our friends and family. Love you both.
Mom: Thanks again for making this a possibility. It really has been a chance of a lifetime and you have allowed me to become a better person. There are not enough words for how much I love you and I won’t ever be able to thank you enough for all you bring to my life.
Jackie: You are such a beautiful person inside and out. Your friendship means the world to me and I’m so blessed to have you in my life. I am so grateful for your unwavering support of me. I know that we will always be friends, and that means the world to me.
Colleen, Jaime, Eva, Mikey, Corrine and Lisa: Thank you for your comments, texts, support and love. I love you all.
Aunt Jill and Nani: Thanks for thinking of me this week and for your love and support. Love you.
Pat, Lisa, Holly and Gina: Thanks for sharing this journey with me here. I’m so grateful to have met you all and it has been so great getting to know you. We have seen each other at our worst and had so many great conversations. I wish you all the best on your journeys and I’m here whenever you need any support.
BLR Trainers, hiking guides and staff: I heard you were amazing before I got here, but I’m not sure that word covers it. Thank you for everything you did for me and for showing me what I’m capable of.
Oscar and Conor (best for last): Thanks for the sacrifices you made to allow me to come here. We have never been apart this long and it’s hard. I miss you so much, but know that I am coming home a better person. I love you both so very, very much and am SO blessed to call you my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment