subscribe

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dropping Emotional Weight

"Its all so real. These are real emotions that are going on. Some of these people have held all their emotions in. Now they have to get them out there, fess up and acknowledge their emotions." -Bob Harper

This week on the NBC Biggest Loser Show emotions got the best of them. And I share this quote from Bob Harper because emotions are a huge part of losing weight, but your support system is even more  important. You need to trust those around you and you need to believe that they will support you along this journey. I was extremely disappointed in this weeks episode, although I have been disappointed with this seasons show in general, I can see myself in them and I know where they are coming from right now. No one said this was easy.

As the weight continues to drop I am realizing that there is a huge emotional weight that comes off too. For the last few weeks as I plateaued a little and as I started my new job I found myself in a very emotional place. I have been feeling great physically as I started meeting with our trainer Michael Friedman. But with so many changes to my life both schedule wise and weight wise I started feeling overwhelmed. That was about 4 weeks ago. Since then I have changed my thinking. I am doing so much better. I also went back to where I was when I felt in control of my weight loss. I realized that for a few weeks I had not been tracking my food in and I was not committed to my 3 workouts. So last week I focused on those two things. I worked out twice with Michael and twice on my own doing 40 minutes on the treadmill. I also tracked all my food in MyFitnessPal app on my iPhone. These are the 2 things that I need to keep up on and I know that I am on track. The four weeks that I was not doing these things I was losing 1-2 pounds. Last week when I focused on these 2 things I went back to what I was losing the first 2 months of my weight loss, I lost 4.7 pounds!

Update: I have officially lost 40.3 pounds! 
Since November 27, 2011. (12 weeks)

When I posted this information on Facebook I was surprised that people actually asked how I was doing it. Hello, I have this blog...this abundance of information and tips and tricks...use it! So I thought I would post exactly what it is that I am doing, using and believing in. 

1. I spent 2 weeks and learned all of this at the Biggest Loser Resort at Fitness Ridge in Malibu, CA. If you can go. If you can afford missing work for a week or 2 or more and afford the stay...GO! It honestly was the best time and money I have ever spent on myself. And I know that I want to go back at some point. 

2. I eat 1600 calories a day. I am loving all kinds of fruit, salads and our whole family is trying new things, like more fresh fish and grains like quinoa. Lots of greek yogurt and WATER.

3. Working out 3 times a week. I now am working out twice a week for 50 minutes with our trainer, Michael Friedman at 24 hour fitness. I love those workouts, they kick my but my arms my legs and my mental game. Yesterday I PB'd (personal best, not peanut butter) at 8.0 sprint on the treadmill. In the end even if you think you are working out well on your own, you cannot push yourself the way someone else can. I also get in 1-2 additional cardio workouts on my treadmill at home, a walk through the neighborhood or the gym with Ryan. 

4.  I wear a BodyMedia Fit CORE armband. It tracks my calories out, my steps taken, the time I spend working out and how hard I workout. I use it to make sure that I am burning more than I am eating. And it holds me accountable so that I know when I need an extra workout or if I need more sleep. 

5. Subway. Eat Fresh. This is a treat for me, but it is also good for me. I eat a 6 inch sub no cheese no mayo, and loaded with veggies and the low fat honey mustard. I feel like when I get at least 1 subway a week I am not actually denying myself of anything. 

There are no gimmicks, pills, powders or tricks up my sleeve. It is what we all know how to do. Self control, making mindful eating part of every bite you take.  I know and you know that a grilled chicken breast on a salad with dressing on the side is a better choice than a whopper or a pasta dish. I know that I was gaining weight because I sat around instead of getting up and moving. 

EAT LESS. MOVE MORE. 
It's that simple.

 



 


1 comment:

  1. I continue to be impressed with your story and the progress you've made! Logging your food and wearing a BodyMedia Fit armband...were huge for me too (and continue to be)! And as you wrote above, no gimicks and doing what we all know how to do...mixed with a lot of self control...that's the ticket! Keep it and the blog up!

    ReplyDelete