subscribe

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Fuel for the Fire

This journey started for Brianne and I on Sunday, November 27, 2011. We have been doing this now for 3 months (which is 14 weeks or 98 days). When we began we had each other. We went to the Biggest Loser Resort at Fitness Ridge Malibu with each other as our support because we knew that in order to do this well we would need each other once we returned home. Those two weeks were the best money and time that we have spent on ourselves. And when we returned we returned on a lasting high of weight loss and energy and excitement. We did well, we pushed ourselves harder than we ever had, and we had time to invest in our well being. Being "Survivors" of the Fitness Ridge program was enough to help make what we learned stick and last through the first month home.

I have to say that the people that we met at the resort have made the experience that much more amazing. We are surrounded by people who dedicated time to themselves and invested in themselves the way we did. We have so much support from the other guests that were there, but we also now have an amazing network of trainers, a life coach, and former Biggest Loser NBC Contestants that we can access with questions ALL the time. 
Week 1 at BLR. We thought we would die, but survived to tackle a second week. The people in these photos continue to inspire us.
As we get further and further away from our stay at the resort that empowered and successful feeling is getting smaller and smaller. We came home feeling so accomplished and feeling like we were unstoppable. As we started tackling it on our own, trying to make real life schedules work with our plans of weight loss and training, it was clear that this was not going to be as easy as it was for the two weeks we were at the resort. 

For the past month this journey has seemed to take a turn for me. I am not tracking my food the way I was and I am not as strict on my workouts. Yes, we took a huge step of introducing a personal trainer to the mix. And I have to say that Michael has made an impact, if I didn't have him I might not be where I am right now. He pushes me harder than I can push myself and he can even see when I question my ability and he helps me believe. It might be the most important part of my journey right now...believing that I can keep doing this.

And lastly the journey comes full circle because I am now giving eating and fitness tips to other people. Really, I have a long journey ahead (about 60 more pounds to lose). Last night I had the chance to talk to an old co-worker and friend who has just started this tough journey. We talked food, mental ques to help get through the tough moments, and working out. I sat there and was talking about what my life has become and I realized that in sharing this with someone else that spark from the resort is smoldering and when I can give someone else advice or just tell them what works for me it throws a little fuel on my fire, and I am reminded I still have it. I might have moments or weeks that aren't my best but I do have a tried and true routine and process that I can go back to because I know how to do it and I know it works. So I close this post with thanks to my friends and family and encourage anyone reading to ask questions or ask for advice because helping you means I am also helping myself!

2 comments:

  1. Proud of you Cara! Keep that positive perspective and remember that ALL good things never come easy. That's what makes them so great and rewarding! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't stop GET IT GET IT!!!

    ReplyDelete